Sunday, March 05, 2006

HM opens up, & you wish she hadn't.

Okay, so I tend to be really obscure in this blog. I just waffle on the whole issue of opening a window to my life. In a nutshell, we just ended a 3 1/2 year run with a framing/gallery business. Hot Daddy's parents were the "silent" uhm er "money" behind the scenes. They wanted small businesses, they called us, we fell for the dream. My advice, do not go into business with family. It really and truly does inevitably go wrong. Your ideas don't coincide with theirs, you get the art world, they don't have a clue.

They invest way to much money in an established 30 year old [LEMON] business. Your husband works his ass off for said 3 1/2 years, 6 sometimes 7 days a week, no insurance, no vacations, just a tad over poverty level(enough to keep you from getting Medicaid). They already think you'll fail, before you even get started. They say they'll help you get it going, then proceed to get back into the corporate world, and move thousands of miles away. They don't allow you to hire any employees. Woah, sorry, the list goes on, but you get the gist

The funny part: HD turned away 5x the $$business in his last month, than he had in the same month of the last two years. That is the way the cookie crumbles. Sorry for the cliche. What really sucks is that, we didn't get a last paycheck. Who works two goddamn excruciating final weeks and doesn't get paid? We do. The way my in-laws are, it wasn't even an arguable point, and we wouldn't ask. In their eyes they invested enough, they contributed money so who the fuck cares about three years two kids et al. The sage advice: You guys are smart, it will all work out. Have y'all ever tried to feed your kids on smart?

This is why I don't tend to open up y'all. I feel like I am spewing an entire shit fest, and it is only the tip of the iceberg. Fortunately, we are smart and resourceful. The interim a little scary, but finally we are free.

2 comments:

Paula Manning-Lewis said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am pulling for you. You and HD are going to be so much better off without being tied to his parents. I know it seems bleak right now, but it will get better. I only know because I have been there. Someday you will look back and see this as just another stepping stone on your way to success. I hope you guys will keep in touch with me!

Anonymous said...

"You put your whole heart in, you take your whole heart out, you put your whole heart in and you squeeze the life out... that's what it's all about."

I just watched Cinderella Man in the middle of the afternoon yesterday and as soon as I saw the life a struggling family lived during the depression, and imagined pouring water in the milk jug to make it last longer, I realized that we're all going to be ok.

NO matter what happens, our little families will not be sleeping in Hooverville.

Hugs.