Friday, August 10, 2007

Sunburn city and other musings.

We are living in Sun Burn City! I think if this well reputed sunscreen says SPF 50 and water proof then it uhm, well it should be. (I did reapply before the stated two hours, and after a dip in the pool) We went to the pool yesterday, completely covered in sunscreen. The water was temperate, BG was playing with friends, and BB was clinging to me for dear life. I was considering getting ready to leave because BB wasn't having any fun and then he says "get in big bathtub?" Meaning he wanted to get back in and try again. He went from don't put me down to, hey you crazy lady can't you see I can do this myself. So we stayed.
We decided to take a break to have some watermelon. I noticed that BG was looking pink. So I dried her off and re-applied the sunscreen. I slathered the three of us once more, but it was already too late. We splashed around for another hour or so and headed home. By the time we settled in for the night the three of us were wincing into our pj's.
This was the first sunburn for both of them and I am feeling like the worst mom on the planet. Yes I made the efforts, but those weren't enough. I imagine that I should be some super mom -da.da.da! Able to block sun-rays in a single bound, able to turn the swimming pool floor into pillows and avoid those nasty scrapes. Alas, I am just mom, yes Caliente too, but mom all the same.
Beyond the sunburns, and scrapes we had an absolute blast. It hits like me like a brick how much I love my family. I woke up today sunburned and bouncy, maybe a bit manic but in a good way. I would totally do anything to move us forward and keep us happy. The superfluous concerns just fade.
On another note, I got a call from my ex-boss. She is in the running for a job in Taos. She said that if she was brought on, she'd want me there with her. Did I mention TAOS! I love Taos, NM. I was there for the first time last week on a car delivery with HD. It was so-freaking-awesome! The air was fresh, it was green, vibrant and artsy. I know It's just me dreaming again, but without dreams... HD has also received a job offer, though not the money he is looking for , so he is entering the negotiations faze.
Whatever happens I am sure it will be interesting. We tend to be a bit bohemian like that. I worry about what an abrupt change will do to the kids, then again. In these last 2 years we have gone from running a Frame Shop and Art Gallery where we could bring the kids to work, to Mommy working and Daddy staying at home, back to Daddy working and Mommy staying at home. My kiddos seem remarkably well adjusted, so maybe I should be less worried about that and excited about the changes in our future.
Well thanks for tuning in, any changes happening in your lives? Have a wonderful weekend! PLGC -out

No comments: